Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eighth Grade Drama

Till this day, I can picture what Agnes did to me like it was yesterday. I can still
remember the embarrassment that Agnes caused. Agnes was my best friend since the
first grade. She was short with long black hair. She had chubby cheeks, which created an urge to
pinch, but had a nose like a pig. Agnes was not very attractive, but she had a voice so loud and a
personality that overtook the whole class. Everyone was scared of her. I was in eighth grade at
St. Veronica Catholic School when this started.

It was after lunch when Agnes started bullying me. Agnes, our other friend, Alison, and I
just finished eating our hot lunch, and it was then time to go to our usual spot, the basketball
court grounds. As we walked down to the lower yard, I noticed something different about Agnes
and Alison. Agnes had her arms on Alison’s shoulders and whispered something to her. Both
looked at me and started to whisper something again. As we reached our usual spot, Agnes and
Alison did not talk to me. Instead, they decided to walk away. I later found out that they were
going around telling our class not to talk to me. Julia, one of our classmates, was nice enough to
tell me what was going on. She told me that Agnes had told her not to talk to me because I was
annoying and all I did was follow her around. I did not know what to say. I was confused and
upset mainly because she decided to tell everyone before she confronted me about it. As for
Julia, she knew that Agnes was up to something and told me that she will always be there for me.
The lunch bell rang and that meant it was time for music class. In the classroom, my seat
was right next to Agnes, which made me feel uncomfortable. Once music class started, our
teacher instructed us to start singing the song we will be sing for the upcoming mass, Come open
our hearts. After we finished singing, Agnes told me that I should not sing. She told me that I do
not sing well and that it hurt her ears. I was embarrassed. I really did not think I sounded that
bad, so I decided to lip sync the song instead. As we were about to take notes, I noticed she was
watching me write. After I wrote down the notes that the teacher wrote on the board, she told me my handwriting was ugly and that she had better handwriting than me. First my singing voicethen my writing. What was next? I tried to ignore her but I could just feel the tears coming.

The next few days, I would hear rude comments from Agnes and even my classmates
joined along. My classmates believed I had an accent and that I should learn how to speak
English properly. They would usually make racist comments about me, like telling me that I
should go back to Asia and pick rice. Agnes continued to make fun of the way I dressed, danced,
sing, etc. Everything I did she would make a rude comment. I would come home crying and
depressed. I felt like I wanted to move schools and go far away from those people. But I knew
that was not going to happen. So I decided to tell my cousin Berna, who also went to St.
Veronica’s with me. I told her everything that was going on and that I did not know what to do.
She told me not to show that I am affected by their actions or they will continue on. As for
Agnes, she told me that Agnes was jealous of me and that is why she is acting that way.
I decided to take her advice. The next day I ignored what the comments my classmates
made and just continued on with what was most important, getting good grades. Every time they
would say something I would just shrug my shoulders and walk away. Eventually they got fed up
and it looked like they realized that I did nothing wrong. Most apologized, but not Agnes.
I did not care anymore. We were graduating soon and I knew we would find better friends in
high school. Agnes realized that I was no longer being teased so she eventually apologized and
we enjoyed the time we had left together. Time has passed and till this day we remain good
friends. Mrs. Root, my sixth grade teacher always said, “All friends fight. Fighting allows you
to see a different side of the person which can develop a better relationship with another.”

2 comments:

  1. Andrea I really like your essay! Your cousin is right. When someone starts making fun of you, than you should ignore them. When they noticed that you do not care anymore,than they would stop. Overall, I really like your essay. You have really good writing skills. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story.It was well put together and it gave alot of details as far as setting and time.Your cousin was right, ignore them is the best way to go about the situation.that only makes the bully look dumb. GREAT ESSAY!

    ReplyDelete