Friday, October 23, 2009

The Jim Crow Era

The Jim Crow era was a rough time for the black people.
It was era when discrimination between the white and blacks
were taken seriously. Reason for it is so the blacks and white
would have no contact with another and that so it would be clear
that the whites would be the first class citizens. In the article,
"Racial Etiquette: The Racial Customs and Rules of Racial
Behavior in Jim Crow America" and in “Tales of Jim Crow”,
a narrative from the book, The Mee Street Chronicles,
show examples of the Jim Crow etiquette.

In the article it discusses how black people were treated during
this era. Most of the information was a repeat to me, but every
time I hear about this discrimination, it shocks me. I cannot believe
how bad discrimination was in the past. With blacks having call white
people with a certain title or not even allowed to use public places when
white people are around disappoints me. There are so many rules that the
black community had to deal with. It seemed as it was better for them to
move to a different country and receive better rights than America had for them.

In the narrative, the scene, "Uptown on Gay Street", stuck out to me the most.
The fact that the character was not allowed to try on a bathing suit showed me
how rude and uptight white folks were. If a white person would say no, the answer
is no. Unlike today, you have the opportunity to say how you feel without anyone
stopping you. The poor character could not speak back and say how she felt. If she
did, more trouble would come her way. I enjoyed that story is because it showed
controversy between the black character and the white saleswoman and how the
Jim Crow rules was no joke.

I know how it feels to be discriminated by my color and race. As an Asian woman,
I have received a lot of racist comments that are very unnecessary and untrue.
Although it is a new era, and discrimination is not as extreme as before, I can
understand how bad black folks had it.Reading the article and the narrative,
allowed me to realize how lucky I am to live in an area where equality is being
honored. But no matter there will always be discrimination among races, but
thankfully not to the extreme as in the Jim Crow era.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your response Andrea. It's very entertaining and intriguing. You have really good writing skills. Just double check always your paper before you post a paper on your blog because I found a small mistake. Overall I really like your paper because it's very well organized. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete